Member Benefits Guide
Chances are you joined AAA to get help if you have a problem with your car. Many people do, but not all. In fact, some don’t even have a car. They joined because having AAA has many benefits beyond Roadside Assistance that can help them every day. AAA has been helping drivers since 1900. At first, the purpose was to protect the rights of travelers and make going places by car easier. Since then, both the organization and purpose have grown dramatically. Today, we work to make life easier, simpler and better for people on the go. This means helping members on the road as much as off—whether at home, on vacation or shopping. With products and services like travel planning, credit cards, loans, insurance—even discounts on flowers—AAA provides members ways to save time, money and trouble every day.
Now, AAA makes life even easier by providing emergency roadside assistance for your bicycle. Whether you commute to work via bike or just enjoy leisurely weekend rides with your family, you can now call AAA if your bike should become disabled.
To use this Guide:
Select a topic from the menu below. You may also print a copy (PDF) to keep in your glove compartment or in your home for quick reference. In addition, a general description of Basic, Plus and Premier memberships can be reviewed by clicking onto the Benefits chart.
There's just one AAA. But there's more than one way to belong with a variety of membership choices:
Coverage Options and Details:
Classic Membership - AAA Classic provides basic benefits that AAA members have come to know. Any time you get on the road, you can drive assured with our renowned 24/7 Roadside Assistance. You can take advantage of free perks like printed AAA TripTik® routings and United States, Canada, Mexico and Caribbean maps, as well as online mapping at AAAMaps.com; AAA TourBook® Guides; hotel and car rental savings and worldwide vacation planning and reservations. As a AAA member, you have access to a full range of automotive, travel, entertainment and financial services as well as, auto, home and life insurance products— not to mention many deals and discounts.
AAA Plus® Membership - AAA Plus gives you even more of a good thing. This level builds on the Classic Membership benefits with extras like extended towing service, free gas if you run out on the road, and additional lock-out service coverage. Plus, you can enjoy greater reimbursements for road service that is not covered by your membership, enhanced TripGuard® protection and more.
AAA Associate* Membership - A AAA Associate Membership is ideal for family members. An Associate Membership covers others of driving age living in the same household as the Primary Member, including children away at college, with Classic or Plus Membership benefits at a reduced rate.
AAA Premier Membership - AAA Premier offers a distinctively different experience. You get the most extensive roadside assistance offered and personalized services and savings that extend beyond traditional membership offerings. Receive an additional tow up to 200 miles plus a free annual vehicle battery if a AAA Battery Test indicates a new battery is needed. Get exclusive concierge services, 24-Hour Global Travel Emergency Assistance and more through the dedicated Premier member toll-free number, plus other Premier perks.
RV Coverage - It is worth having RV coverage if you drive a motor home or motorcycle. In addition to all of the benefits of AAA Plus or AAA Premier (depending on your coverage level), it provides you with the specialized coverage needed for vehicles of this type.
AAA First - Whether you need a battery jump, tow for your car, a ride home when you need it most, or discounts on anything imaginable, AAA First provides members ages 18 to 34 the benefits to make their life on and off the road easier. Receive four roadside assistance per membership year, plus have a safe way to get home and savings every day from the retailers you use most.
About Emergency Road Service
Vehicles and services covered under Classic, Plus or Premier Membership: Roadside Assistance means 24-hour assistance for minor mechanical first aid; battery service, tire change, out of fuel, lockout service, extricating and towing. Roadside assistance will be provided to you when the vehicle you are either driving or riding in becomes disabled if it is an eligible vehicle that was in operation immediately prior to disablement. The following types of vehicles are eligible for service:
- Four-wheel motor-driven passenger vehicles (i.e. cars, vans and pick up trucks, including rented passenger vehicles) if those services can be safely delivered without using heavy duty equipment.
- Dual rear wheel unloaded pickup trucks are provided all services except tire service.
- Dual rear wheel campers and motor homes are covered for lockout, battery service and out of fuel services only. Additional services (such as towing and tire change services) are provided only if you have a Plus RV Rider Membership.
- 2-wheeled bicycles, including rental bicycles that can be transported by a normal bicycle rack. Roadside assistance provides transportation for the disabled bicycle but not repair.
Vehicles covered under RV coverage:
- Campers, motor homes, motorcycles and travel trailers.
- Your membership benefit cannot be transferred to or used by any other person.
- AAA will charge an additional non-refundable Immediate Service Fee if roadside assistance is requested at the time a Member joins or canceled Member renews with the Club beyond their Membership Grace Period.
- Entitled to 4 Roadside Assistance calls per member, per membership year for covered services, including up to $50 for auto lockout service and roadside assistance to transport a bicycle.
- May have the vehicle towed to the responding AAA facility or any other destination, including the hookup & first 5 miles of towing, at no charge - additional mileage at member discounted rates.
- Tolls are not covered.
- Entitled to 4 Roadside Assistance calls per member, per membership year for covered services, including up to $100 for auto lockout service and roadside assistance to transport a bicycle.
- May have the vehicle towed to the responding AAA facility or any other destination, including the hookup & first 100 miles of towing, at no charge—additional mileage at member discounted rates.
- Tolls are not covered
- Entitled to 5 Roadside Assistance calls per member, per membership year for covered services, including up to $150 for auto lockout service.
- May have the vehicle towed to the responding AAA facility or any other destination, including the hookup & first 100 miles of towing, at no charge—additional mileage at member discounted rates. Member is also entitled to one tow up to 200 miles.
- Tolls are not covered
AAA may arrange for service to Members who have exceeded their “per membership year” allowance however Members will be required to pay for each additional call at AAA Member discounted rates.
- We have contracted with independent service facilities to provide Roadside Assistance. AAA shall not be liable for any damage, injury or loss occasioned by or resulting from rendering, attempted rendering, or failure to provide any Roadside Assistance or towing service or failure thereof by an independent service facility.
- The independent service facilities are not agents of AAA, nor is AAA an agent for them. They are solely responsible for their actions. Any arrangements you make for subsequent, non-emergency repairs are between you and the service facility.
Emergency Check Acceptance: If you need Roadside Assistance or emergency repairs which are not covered by the AAA membership, present your AAA membership card and you can pay for the service/repairs with a personal check for up to $250 at the responding facility or, any AAA/CAA owned service facility.
Alternative reimbursement: If AAA Roadside Assistance is not available and you obtain service from a non-AAA facility, you may submit your request for reimbursement consideration up to the amount it would have cost AAA to provide the covered service under similar circumstances. You must make every effort to contact AAA to request service through Roadside Assistance first. Requests must be submitted with the original receipt within 60 days of service.*
*Some toll roads and some limited access highways provide their own roadside assistance and will not permit AAA to come to your assistance. You should request that they tow your vehicle to their lot off the toll road so that you may contact AAA to request service. In some instances some of the providers will accept your membership card in lieu of payment to remove your vehicle from the toll road or limited access highway. Otherwise, pay for the service and get an itemized receipt, which you may submit to AAA for reimbursement consideration.
Trip Interruption Reimbursement:
Classic & Plus Members:
Your vehicle must be involved in an accident in the United States or Canada, 100 miles or more from home, while on a planned leisure trip which included at least 1 overnight stay. Vehicle must be disabled and inoperable for a minimum of 8 hours (mechanical disablement excluded). You may request reimbursement for reasonable, unanticipated costs of accommodations, meals and substitute transportation, up to $400 for Classic Members and up to $1,000 for Plus Members. These expenses must be incurred within 72 hours of the accident. All requests for trip interruption reimbursements must include a police report and original receipts for expenses incurred.
Products and services are subject to change without notice.
Legal Fee Reimbursement
Many cases involving traffic violations require legal representation in court. AAA members are eligible for the reimbursement of attorney’s fees for the defense of vehicle-related charges if there is a plea of not guilty. This benefit is extended to AAA Plus and AAA Premier members who are driving a vehicle that is eligible for AAA Roadside Assistance. While the Legal Assistance reimbursement is dependent upon the charges faced, this benefit is extended to all members who are driving a vehicle that is eligible for AAA Roadside Assistance. While the Legal Assistance reimbursement is dependent upon the charges faced, AAA Classic members are eligible for reimbursements up to $1,000 while AAA Premier and AAA Premier members are eligible for up to $1,500 in reimbursements.
To learn more about the Legal Assistance benefit or to download a Legal Assistance reimbursement application, click here. Additional questions about the Legal Assistance benefit may be directed to AAA Member Relations by contacting 1-800-AAA-HELP.
From ordinary purchases to life-changing experiences, count on AAA to make life a little better every day.
Thanks to AAA Discounts & Rewards, you enjoy real savings on the things you buy, every day and just about everywhere. The more you use it, the more the savings add up. Find great savings at retailers online, in-store and over the phone. Getting your discount is always easy with AAA. When you’re ready to buy, think AAA first. It’s the membership that pays for itself.
New York & Company® - Save 20% on your in-store purchase
- Just show your AAA card at checkout
Payless ShoeSource® - Save 10% on your in-store purchase
- Just show your AAA card at checkout
LensCrafters®, Pearle Vision®, Target Optical® & Sears Optical® - Save up to 30% on eyeglasses and accessories
- Just show your AAA card at checkout
Sprint - Save 10% on recurring monthly service fees and more
- Available online at AAA.com/Sprint, call 1-800-754-6907 or visit a Sprint corporate store
Direct TV® - New subscribers receive a $10 credit on their monthly bill for 20 months
- Just call 1-800-370-3578 and have your AAA membership number handy
AAA Prescription Savings - Save an average of 24% off of retail prices at 9 out of 10 pharmacies
- Just show your AAA card at checkout
Penske truck rental - Save up to 20% on your rental
- Call 1-877-222-7924 or show your AAA card at time of payment
Hertz Car Rental - Members enjoy up to 20% savings at Hertz on car rentals locally and worldwide. To make reservations, go online to AAA.com/hertz, visit your local AAA office or call 866-AAA-SAVE.
- Just show your AAA card at checkout
Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Membership
Sign up for your FREE Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® membership. AAA Classic/Plus members get 675 Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Bonus points, after the first Gold rental, enough for One Free Weekend Rental Day!
Visit www.AAA.com/discounts to view all discount offers. Discounts are subject to change at any time.
You can trust AAA to provide excellent coverage, great rates and friendly service.
Exclusive member discounts are available on auto & homeowners insurance. AAA offers a full line of insurance products and agents are available in many AAA offices and by phone. AAA Insurance will shop and compare your coverage to see if member discounts can save you money. Insurance coverage is available on a wide variety of products, including:
- Homeowners, Condo & Renters
- And more
Get a quick quote online today at AAA.com/insurance or stop in one of the many AAA offices with an insurance agent.
Travel with AAA? It's simple if you ask us. And we're all kinds of fun, the more you know us.
Pack your bags. Let's Go.™ It is that easy because AAA's Travel Advisors and travel agents do the rest. They'll plan your trip from start to finish and take care of everything in between. Whether it is a weekend getaway or a vacation to Hawaii, they'll make sure you get access to exclusive member discounts and benefits to any destination. Travel services include:
- Free travel planning
- Vacation packages
- Disney Resorts
- Hotel reservations
- Car rentals
- Attraction ticket discounts
- Passport photos and International Driving Permits
- Travel money including foreign currency
- Free Maps, TripTik® routings and domestic TourBook® guides
- And more
Stop in your local AAA office to speak with a travel counselor or agent. You can also go to AAA.com/travel or reference your AAA Member Handbook for more information.
Online Travel Planning
If you prefer to make your own plans, AAA.com/travel is the place for you. Book a cruise or vacation, find the lowest hotel prices, save from 5-20% on Hertz car rentals, purchase discounted attraction tickets and more. You can also print your own TripTik® routings and TourBook® guides.
AAA Mobile® app
Need directions on the spot? AAA can keep you on the go with driving directions, interactive maps, AAA Drive Trips, TourBook® guide locations and AAA Discounts & Rewards locations through the AAA Mobile app for your smartphone or mobile device. Download the app today from AAA.com/Mobile.
If it has to do with cars, you have a way to do it better, easier and more affordable with AAA.
No matter if AAA members are the driver or passenger in a car, roadside assistance is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week throughout the USA and Canada to keep members "on the go". AAA's approved technicians can assist with:
- Flat tire changes
- Fuel delivery
- Lock-out service
- Battery jumps
- Installing a AAA branded battery where available
Detailed roadside benefits and eligibility requirements are available in the AAA member handbook.
Approved Auto Repair
Members can rely on AAA's Approved Auto Repair (AAR) and Auto Body Repair (AABR) facilities for vehicle repair work. Such facilities meet the high quality standards set forth by AAA for customer service, staff qualifications and training, and some even provide a member discount through the AAA Discounts & Rewards program.
Exclusive member discounts are available on auto insurance. AAA insurance will shop and compare your coverage to see if member discounts can save you money. Get a quick quote today at AAA.com/insurance or stop in one of the many AAA offices with an insurance agent.
AAA can arrange financing for you on a variety of new and used vehicles. You'll receive low rates and fast approval. For more information or to apply online, visit auto loans online.
Extended Vehicle Warranties
Has the manufacturers warranty run out on your car? Protect yourself against the high cost of auto repairs with comprehensive, low cost vehicle extended warranty plans through AAA.
Auto Buying Program
Not in the mood to shop for a new or used car? AAA's Auto Buying Program takes care of the details. You'll receive no-hassle, VIP treatment when taking advantage of pre-arranged discount prices, in writing, on new and used vehicles from a selected group of dealers. Visit AAA.com/autobuying for availability in your area.
So you can buy what you want when you want it, and even save some money, too.
AAA Member Rewards Visa® card
Everyday purchases add up to rewards with the AAA Member Rewards VISA®. You can now turn everyday purchases into unlimited rewards. Visit AAA.com/Visa for more information.
Need a solution to today's high tuition costs? Federal Stafford Loans and Federal PLUS Loans are available through AAA. Member benefits include low fixed interest rates, rate reduction for automatic electronic payments, dedicated customer service phone number and more. For more information, visit student loans online.
Money Markets, CDs & IRAs
Looking for an alternative to investing in the stock market? AAA offers exclusive member only rates and no minimum deposit on money markets, CDs and IRAs through Discover Bank. For more information or to open an account, visit personal accounts online.
Roadside Assistance Eligibility Requirements
Covered service applies to all four-wheeled motor-driven vehicles of the passenger or recreational type (vans, campers and motor homes) if these services can be safely delivered to vehicles that were in operation immediately prior to disablement, unless prohibited by law. Dual-wheeled unloaded pickup trucks are eligible for service if they can be safely delivered with standard operating equipment. Rented passenger vehicles are eligible for service. Commercial vehicles are eligible for service with the exclusion of taxi cabs and limousines.
SCOPE OF SERVICE
Under your membership, roadside assistance service will be provided without charge by the nearest available AAA facility up to the limits of your membership. We select facilities for their ability to handle service calls, but we cannot guarantee that these facilities will always have the parts and the equipment to make immediate repairs. We will attempt to get you “on the go” as quickly as possible. When you vehicle cannot be made operable upon providing the services listed in this brochure, AAA Allied Group will assist you in finding the nearest open place of repair. If a repair facility cannot be located, AAA Allied Group will assist you in obtaining lodging or alternate transportation. Some of these locations offer prioritized diagnosis and discounts to AAA members. In many areas, facilities are independent businesses. Responsibility for loss, damage or unsatisfactory workmanship remains with the facility providing service, though AAA will mediate any dispute between the member and the contractor. Certain benefits may vary from AAA club to AAA club.
CHECK, DEBIT/CREDIT CARD ACCEPTANCE
Your personal check and/or debit/credit card will be accepted by any independent contract facility for payment of emergency road service up to $250. A valid membership card and identification must be presented at the time of payment. The name on the check and/or debit/credit card must match the member’s name.
During severe weather conditions, civil disturbances or national emergencies, service may be temporarily delayed, suspended or limited.
For safety reasons, service will not be rendered to snowbound cars or to cars on unplowed driveways or streets. In addition, the installation or the removal of chains or snow tires is not covered.
EXCESSIVE USE/SERVICE CALL INFORMATION
Emergency road service is not to be used as a substitute for proper vehicle maintenance. Each active AAA member is entitled to four (4) roadside assistance requests within their membership year. While each member of multiple-member households is entitled to four (4) requests, requests may not be combined to allow one member of the household more than four (4) requests per year.
AAA service is designed to render assistance during emergencies. AAA Membership is provided at the sole discretion of AAA. Towing benefit provided to active members to render assistance when an unexpected incident disables and/or makes inoperable a vehicle used by the member for their own transportation. Service will be rendered when the member is with the vehicle, unless the member is unable to do so due to extenuating circumstances. Members are entitled to one service call per disablement.
An individual's Auto Club membership may not be used by a business or organization to provide roadside assistance service for its customers, employees or vehicles. Towing service is only provided for a covered vehicle disablement and will not be provided for the purpose of transporting vehicles due to a purchase, sale, auction transaction, car show exhibition, charitable donation, relocation or any other similar situation.
Members must present a valid membership card in order to receive service. If the card is not available as proof of membership, the responding facility will require full payment. Save your receipts for reimbursement consideration and submit to AAA within 60 days.
Service does not include the cost of parts or the labor necessary to complete repairs. These are the car owner’s responsibility. AAA cannot guarantee the availability of repair service at its contract stations after regular business hours or on weekends.
Service technicians are required to exercise care and judgment when extricating or towing a vehicle. However, if in their judgment unavoidable damage may occur, the member may be required to sign a liability release form before service is rendered.
Emergency Road Service will be provided to eligible vehicles that were in operation immediately prior to disablement, unless prohibited by law. Towing is not provided for vehicles ordered towed by the police or other entities for alleged violations of the law or applicable ordinances.
- AAA will transport you and your disabled bicycle anywhere within the towing coverage mileage provided by your AAA membership at no cost. Member must be present at the time of service and have an active AAA Allied Group membership.
- Bicycle service is not available to members when riding outside the territory of AAA Allied Group.
- Bicycle service applies to all 2-wheeled bicycles, including rental bicycles, that can be transported by a normal bicycle rack. Tandem bicycles are not eligible for service.
- AAA will provide transportation for only you and your disabled bicycle – repair service not provided.
- Bicycle service cannot be used to transport a bicycle from a members’ home to a repair shop or other destination.
- Service is provided only along a normally traveled street or road.
- Transportation beyond the member’s towing allowance by coverage level will incur a per mile additional cost.
- Bicycle service is provided for the rider whose bicycle is disabled and accompanying minors. Bicycle service for a minor must be requested by a legal guardian that is an active AAA member.
A member can request AAA to transport bicycle to a repair shop up to the miles allowed by coverage level at no cost. If member chooses not to accompany their bicycle to the repair shop, AAA is not responsible for providing details for repair to the shop and has no liability for lost or further damaged bicycles once drop off of the bicycle is complete.
If you have attempted to contact AAA directly to obtain Roadside Assistance Service, and AAA service is not available, AAA will attempt to obtain private service for you. Service will be provided in full up to the limits of your membership.
Should you fail to contact us prior to obtaining private service, you will be required to pay for the service, and submit a written explanation, including your membership number and the original receipt to us for consideration. Reimbursement will be limited to what it would have cost AAA to provide the service directly. Reimbursement requests should be addressed to: AAA Allied Group, Attn: Reimbursements, 15 West Central Pkwy., Cincinnati, OH 45202. In instances where AAA contractor access is legally restricted, reimbursement will be provided in full for a tow back to the responding facility. If the member elects to be towed elsewhere, the tow will be provided in accordance with the towing provisions of the membership type.
SERVICES NOT INCLUDED
Without limiting any other rights or remedies it may have, AAA may seek reimbursement from a member or Associate for roadside assistance services fraudulently or wrongfully obtained by the member or Associate. Primary members are responsible for the conduct and the service demands of their Associates.
The following services are not provided under the membership benefit:
- Service to a vehicle located in an area not regularly traveled by private passenger vehicles (such as a beach, open field, creek bed, private logging or forest service road)
- Services on vehicles without keys (except when keys are lost or broken)
- Service involving alcohol-or-drug-related incidents, or vehicles ordered impounded or removed by local authorities
- Services on loaded vehicles, which may not be performed safely
- Service when the vehicle is in any location where the service technician cannot perform the service safely and without risk to the member, the service technician, the members’ vehicle or the service truck
- Service to boat, horse, light duty and utility trailers
- Shoveling snow from around a vehicle or c leaning a road or driveway
- Servicing or extrication of vehicles on inaccessible, non-maintained streets, back roads, driveways, parking lots or alleys which become snowbound or flooded
- Towing of vehicles purchased in an inoperable condition
- Cost of vehicle locksmith services beyond what is necessary to place the vehicle in a condition to be safely driven (such as duplicating keys non-emergency lock repairs and re-keying of vehicle locks)
- Service in situations where appropriate identification in addition to the membership card is not provided to the service driver, or service on unattended vehicles (exception in case of accident)
- Use of two or more Roadside Assistance service calls to extend the member tow mileage benefit for the same breakdown
- More than 100 driving miles of towing per Roadside Assistance service call for AAA Plus members